We are here to Help you.

People who have recently moved into Alberta may use a valid operator's licence from outside of Alberta for the first three months of their residency. You must apply for your Alberta operator's licence and surrender your old licence within that three-month period. It is illegal to hold more than one valid operator's licence.

An operator's licence from another jurisdiction within Canada is accepted as the same Class without testing. Applicants for Class 1, 2 or 4 licences must provide a medical report and undergo a vision screening. United States licence holders other than those in Class 5, 6 and 7 must complete all requirements.

Upon application, you may be required to provide documents to prove residency. For details, inquire at your local registry office.

International Licence

A non-resident holding an International Operator's Licence issued outside of Canada, may use their licence to operate a particular class or type of motor vehicle. This only applies if the person operates the same type or class of motor vehicle in Alberta. They may use this licence for 12 months or until it expires, whichever comes first.


Tourists or visitors from other countries are permitted to use their valid operator's licence for a period of three months.


A student is not required to obtain an Alberta operator's licence when operating a motor vehicle if the following apply:

  • The student is authorized to operate a motor vehicle of the same type or class by the laws of the jurisdiction in which the student ordinarily resides.
  • The documents required by the laws of the jurisdiction where the student ordinarily resides are carried by the student or are in the vehicle.
  • The student must carry proof showing that they are a full time student in this province.